In 2007, I lost one of my close friends at the end of my senior year. She was only a sophomore at the time, but we had played soccer together for many years. Since that time, her family has held a 5K in her honor, The Mandy Deppen 5K, raising funds along with raffle ticket sales and donated prizes to present scholarships in her name to students from our high school, Graham High School.
Our lives had gotten pretty busy over the last year, and I've had 3 children since and I was never able to make it to the 5K. However, I received news that this would be the last year they would be doing it. At that moment, I told myself that we would be there. I was able to talk my parents into doing it with us. My dad also knew Mandy and her parents from our days of soccer.
We had the kids with us so we only walked, and we definitely brought up the rear, but I'm so glad I was able to be a part of it.

Our lives had gotten pretty busy over the last year, and I've had 3 children since and I was never able to make it to the 5K. However, I received news that this would be the last year they would be doing it. At that moment, I told myself that we would be there. I was able to talk my parents into doing it with us. My dad also knew Mandy and her parents from our days of soccer.
We had the kids with us so we only walked, and we definitely brought up the rear, but I'm so glad I was able to be a part of it.





No comments:
Post a Comment